Today, Riversimple has firmly planted itself into the history of hydrogen autos record books by unveiling the Rasa (the name is credited to Aristotle) hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.
This Welsh 2-seater FCEV is a production prototype which can achieve 250 mpge, a 300 mile range and can be refueled in 3 minutes. Twenty Rasa prototypes will be tested over a 12-month period and the final model released in 2018.
According to BBC.com, “If the trial – to be funded by a £1.6m European Union grant – proves successful, the firm has said the next step would be to set up volume production in a factory employing 220 people.”
The Rasa cannot be purchased though as Riversimple intends to lease the vehicle (including repairs, maintenance, fuel and insurance).
According to Riversimple, “We’re building a fundamentally new form of business system that aligns our interests with our customers’ and the environment’s. There’s no trade off between profit and purpose.”
The Riversimple Rasa Specs:
- Hydrogenics 8.5 kW hydrogen PEM fuel cell
- Carbon Fiber Monocoque body
- 1.5 kg 5,000 psi hydrogen fueling tank
- JSR Micro hybrid Super Capacitors
- Sevcon 3-phase motor inverters
- 4 in-wheel electric motors and regenerative braking
- Michelin ultra-low rolling tires
- Lightweight seat frames trimmed in recycled PET fabric
Besides the razzle-dazzle, the Riversimple Rasa recognizes not only the need for zero emissions but also the urgency of leaving a low to no autobon footprint as well.